Program Learning Outcomes
All Music Degrees
- Analyze and evaluate the elements, forms, and processes in music.
- Describe, categorize, and assess the major historical periods, composers, styles, and genres of music.
- Develop and defend musical judgments, and self-assess their efforts.
- Perform associated repertoire with technical proficiency and artistic expression on their instrument or voice.
- Use collaboration and leadership skills in making music.
- Apply pedagogical skills in their area by appropriately critiquing student work and designing an applicable learning strategy.
- Analyze and evaluate school performance literature, method books, and teaching philosophies, and strategically design a school music program in terms of recruitment, curriculum, equity, and access.
- Create and teach lessons and activities incorporating the Utah core music standards and informed by best practices in music pedagogy and technology, including effective classroom management and rehearsal techniques, and age/skill-appropriate assessments.
- Perform on their instrument or voice in an exemplary manner that demonstrates a high level of achievement and career potential.
The mission of the Utah Tech University Music Department is to prepare students for professional careers in music, to provide a high quality educational experience for all students, to serve as an educational and cultural resource for Utah Tech University, the local community, and the region, to develop character, dedication and excellence, and encourage lifelong learning.